1 tablespoon of Shredded coconut, to serve
Egg, lighted beaten
Lightly packed soft brown sugar
Butter for frying
Strips of lime rind, to serve
- Spread the shredded coconut on an oven tray and toast it in a slow 150oC oven for 10 minutes or until it is dark golden, shaking the tray occasionally.
- Remove the coconut from the tray to prevent it from burning and set aside.
- Sift the plain and rice flour into a medium bowl.
- Add the sugar and desiccated coconut and mix through with a spoon.
- Make a well in the center of the flour, pour in the combined coconut milk and egg, and beat until smooth.
- Melt a little butter in a non-stick frying pan.
- Pour 3 tablespoons of the pancake mixture into the pan and cook over medium heat until the underside is golden.
- Turn the pancake over and cook the other side.
- Transfer to a plate and cover with a tea towel to keep warm.
- Repeat with the remaining pancake batter, buttering the pan when necessary.
- Cut the bananas diagonally into thick slices.
- Heat the butter in the pan; add the banana, toss until coated, and cook over medium heat until the banana starts to soften and brown.
- Sprinkle with the brown sugar and shake the pan gently until the sugar has melted.
- Stir in the lime juice.
- Divide the banana among the pancakes and fold over to enclose.
- Sprinkle with the toasted coconut and strips of lime rind.